This morning as I was looking at Facebook I saw a post from a friend who said, “ I am removing the fake person who tried acting like my friend but thought I wouldn’t find out about you running your mouth. Just wanna make sure you can see this and know why I will never have anything to do with you ever again.”
Do you have people in your life that you just sit back and observe and think, “That’s my friend!”
On the other hand, are there people in your life that you know are only your friend when they are facing you but when you aren’t around they talk about you in unflattering ways?
Remember, no one is perfect. The difference between a good friend who happened to do something you didn’t like and a fake friend is that a good friend does not keep on doing or saying bad stuff about or to you.
How can you identify a frienemy?
· They are two faced. They smile and laugh with you, but then slander you behind your back.
· They always gossip about their other friends.
· When you’re alone with each other it’s never a problem, but when others are around they constantly try to make you look bad or they ignore you.
· They make fun of you.
· Everything is a competition to them. They always try to one up you.
· They purposely give you bad advice so you don’t succeed or surpass them in something. I once knew a lady who, if asked for a recipe, left out a key ingredient so no one else’s food would turn out as good as hers.
· When they are with others they don’t have time for you.
· When you make a mistake they always gloat.
· They use you for what you have or know.
· They are never there when you need them. In your time of need and when you’re going through bad things they disappear.
· They never build you up and make you a better person, but are always bringing you down.
· They close their mouths at the wrong times. They let you go down the wrong path and allow you to make mistakes.
· They are critical. They always see the bad they never see the good.
You will know them by their fruits.
1. Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
2. Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
3. Psalms 55:21 The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
4. Psalms 41:9 Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.
5. Luke 22:47 While He was still speaking, behold, a crowd came, and the one called Judas, one of the twelve, was preceding them; and he approached Jesus to kiss Him. 48But Jesus said to him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
I know who keeps it real and who is only a friend to my face, and if you think about it you do too. I’m wondering why we do this. Why do we not call them out? If you are like I, then you just smile and pretend you believe they are your friend and go on about your life knowing they will betray you the first chance they get.
So here is a big THANK YOU to every one of you who are my real friends. I know who you are. I know who motivates me and keeps it real. I also know who talks about me and then smiles in my face. I know who I can trust and who to keep at a distance. I know who’s really for me and who is being fake. Whether or not I let you know you’re fake, I know! And so does the young woman I quoted at the beginning of this blog and who sparked this whole thing.