In my seventy-five years of living, I’ve learned a tiny bit about prayer. I’ve also learned a tiny bit about healing and the prayers for healing.
In my experience, there are five different healings.
- There is a natural healing of the body caused by the magnificent immune system installed in us by our manufacturer at the beginning of our life. That immune system takes care of us far more and far oftener than we realize.
- There is also the kind of healing most of us pray for but few actually believe in, that is, an actual miracle healing. When I was in my early thirties a pelvic X-ray showed a hot spot in my pelvic arch bone. The doctor said that indicated cancer. I immediately called my church, my family, my friends of different church beliefs and asked all of them to pray for this to be healed. And it was. No surgery, no radiation, no chemo, no medication, it just healed and disappeared. This is the miracle healing we seek but often do not believe in.
- There is then medical healing. We are very aware of this and most folks believe in this kind of healing and often this is what one has on one’s mind when one prays for healing. That is why you will often hear things like, “Please give the doctors the knowledge to treat this person’s disease” when you hear a prayer for healing.
4. This fourth kind of healing is the healing of the attitude and is talked about in 2 Corinthians 12 verses 8-10. The apostle Paul had an affliction and asked the Lord to remove it. 8Concerning this, I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. The Lord did not cure Paul’s affliction or heal Paul but the Lord gave Paul an attitude adjustment, or a healing of his attitude.
5.Then there is the healing no one wants to talk about. Sometimes we are healed by being taken from this world and all its troubles to the next life where we are truly healed. This isn’t usually what we have in mind when be beseech the Lord on behalf of someone ailing but it may be exactly what the Lord wants to happen in the life of those who are left here without their loved one.
- Be very careful when you pray for healing. God hears those prayers.